Wednesday, April 15, 2009

OOOPS Where have I been? Busier than Heck

Hey all of you people, I am so sorry that I have not been on to tell how things have been. Between boys, WORK, and implant, there has been no time for me. I haven't been on Facebook and have over 99 requests. That is NUTS!! Anyways, where do I start--GREAT NEWS first, there isn't any bad news sooo. I wen to see Allison, my implant audiologist, on April 10th. She was very happy with how I am doing. I think that I could do better but she says I am doing phenomenal (hope spell check catches this). So, lets' see I explained to her my complaints that people have told me, 1. slurring words 2. leaving off endings of words 3. feeling like I was in a dull mode (dead battery feeling) 4. not hearing my phone ring (now remember I had to work through 4 programs, while program 1-was all those high frequencies that were very loud to program two-lost all high frequencies and only had lows, program 3-more highs back but more lows than highs, and program 4-still more highs but lows still more noticeable but getting better).
Allison said wonderful "You need to have an increase in high frequencies to be above low frequencies to help balance you out." So, program 1 is my old program 4, program 2-more high frequencies and popping Advil again, program 3-even more higher frequencies and probably popping more Advil since I do this on Monday the 27th, and program 4 more and more higher frequencies and buying stock in Advil for I am truly supporting them now LOL!! I hope that this makes sense but it is a process that I am working through slowly which is driving me nuts cuz I want to move faster. Allison did say that my progress at this two week appt. is where most people are at 3 month appt. She also told me not to be so hard on myself since I still have a hard time understanding people without visuals. She said it could take up to 3 months for me to get that skill and I said Oh NO, not gong to work--give me 1 more month and I will be close to being there. Lisa laughed at me (probably not because I was being funny but she knows that I will probably get it done).

We went to the booth and she had me listen to the beeps (big surprise) and I am in the 10-15dB range for all the beeps (guess what people--that's in the NORMAL range!!!!) In having to repeat back sentences to her, I got 80% right which is 8 out of 10 sentences. You are thinking oh probably easy, familiar sentences so that is good. These were not familiar sentences but not off the wall either. For example, the field mouse got the cheese (BTW- I missed this one and said peas, not cheese), the boy is sucking his thumb (missed this one too), but I got all the others right, I just can't remember the sentences! What a dork!!

I am listening to books on tapes, listening to memorized cds like Lion King of course! I am enlisting the help of my Speech friends at work to work with me also and family is always trying to help in one way or another.

Thank goodness for all these people BUT especially my mom.

Mom, I want to say thank you so much for all the choices and sacrifices that you made in regards to me. Without your belief and "tough" love in so many ways, I would not be where I am today. I still struggle but your encouragement helped me to be a determined woman that perseveres in all that I do. I love you!! and I leave off with that folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment